Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I. Hate. This. New. Commercial.

The supposedly feel-good, empowering Dove/Walmart commercial with a bunch of women singing about their various sagging or otherwise unfortunate body parts to the tune of Do Your Ears Hang Low makes me want to pull my eyeballs out. I don't think I have encountered a more irksome commercial and it just drives home the fact that Walmart sucks. This is a cutesy, nauseating, misguided attempt at promoting real beauty that talks...er..sings....down to its clientele who are a lot smarter than this commercial gives them credit for.

If you're a masochist you can watch the commercial here.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen this particular commercial yet, but yes it's a bit on the annoying side. In general I have to give Dove props for their ad campaign because it does go against the grain of typical beauty ads. Something about the fact that it's still in the effort to sell their products makes it hard to swallow, no matter how positive the message is though. Here's another Dove clip that I think has more impact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clip is SOOOO much more effective! I actually went to a conference a few years back when the first campaign for real beauty came out. The women in the add were on the panel and showed that clip, which is really powerful. Dove definitely deserves props for their efforts in changing beauty advertisement standards...which is one of the reasons this clip's juvenile, condescending tone bugged me so much.

    ReplyDelete