Monday, September 21, 2009

Herb and Dorothy


Does anyone know when Herb and Dorothy comes out on DVD? This is my favorite art documentary--much better than the relatively recent My Kid Could Paint That or Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock (though the latter was a fun film about the elitism of the art world--Thomas Hoving's portrayal is pretty comical as he contorts himself to view the potential Pollock upside down, as though this will reveal its authenticity). I saw Herb and Dorothy at the beginning of June at its New York premier and have been eagerly awaiting it's release on DVD, especially because I promised it to my dad as a Father's Day gift. Herb and Dorothy Vogel are the most endearing and gifted collectors of twentieth century art who have managed to amass one of the most impressive collections so large that their tiny apartment is literally bursting at the seams as they refuse to sell a single work, despite their paltry combined income (he's a postal clerk and she's a librarian). Every collector/aspiring collector should be obligated to see this film.

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard about this, Liz, but after reading your recap and visiting the link, I'm intrigued! Collectors are an interesting bunch, and hearing how someone becomes a collector is fascinating. We just did a program at HPAC called Not Just Another Pretty Face which dealt with collecting, trying to make the process more accessible and creating a link for artists and collectors. Check the HPAC website for more details. http://www.hydeparkart.org/exhibitions/2008/10/not_just_another_pretty_face_2.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fascinating! I'm bummed I missed it this summer - looks like it played at the Gene Siskel in July. Well the trailer got me hooked. I'll look for the DVD when it comes out! :)

    ReplyDelete